Pak Bung Fai Daeng
Serves 2 Cooks in 15 minutes Difficulty Easy
Stir fried morning glory or Pak Bung Fai Daeng as we call this dish in Thailand is a wonderfully simple dish. It is a great accompaniment to any of the dishes we can learn to cook at my Thai cooking class here in Khao Lak.
If you have never tried Thai cooking before this is a great dish to start off with. There’s only a few ingredients so preparation and cooking time is short. It is also very, very tasty.
Pak Bung Fai Daeng is a great vegetarian or vegan dish too, simply replace the oyster sauce with thick mushroom sauce and use vegetable stock instead of pork stock.
The ingredients for my stir fried morning glory should be readily available where ever you live in the world. Morning glory is commonly known as water spinach. If you can not get morning glory then any other Asian green leaves would do the job instead. You could even use broccoli. Use 1 extra tbsp of oyster sauce if you can not get soybean paste.
- A good bunch of morning glory
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 chilli (less if you do not like spicy)
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbps soybean paste
- 1 tsp pork stock
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- Smash the garlic and chilli in a pestle and mortar.
- Chop the morning glory into 3cm long pieces.
- Heat the oil in wok until it is nice and hot.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, throw into the wok and stir fry quickly for a couple of minutes. Do not over cook your morning glory as it will loose it’s nice green colour.
Serve as an accompaniment to your Thai meal or as a quick tasty Thai snack..
Please try this dish at home, its so easy and fun. Hope you enjoy Pak Bung Fai Daeng by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.