Yam Pre Gluai
Serves 2 Cooks in 40 minutes Difficulty EASY
- 1 banana blossom
- 2 tbsp chilli paste in oil
- 1 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp crispy shallots
- 2 tbsp carnation milk
- 6 chillies
- 1 shallot chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 4 kafir lime leaves very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 spring onion chopped
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp of the juice from pickled garlic and a little of the garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp minced pork lightly fried
- 4 shrimps boiled
- 1 hard boiled egg
- Cut the banana blossom length ways into quarters. Remove and discard the outer brown petals and flowers and cut out the hard centre leaving only the white petals. Chop and put into a bowl and cover with water adding 2 tablespoons of vinegar and the juice from one lime.
- Heat some oil in a wok and deep fry one sliced shallot. When it starts to turn crispy, drain and set to one side.
- Mix the chilli paste, lime juice, stock, fish sauce, chopped shallot and chillies in a bowl.
- Add the pork and shrimp and mix.
- Add the peanuts, crispy shallots, carnation milk and coriander leaves and mix.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the banana blossom and add to the mixture. Mix well.
Serve on a plate and top with the hard boiled egg cut into segments.
Banana Blossom Salad makes a great appetizer for any Thai meal.
Hope you enjoy my Yam Pre Gluai. Khop Khun Ka from Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.