Prik Gairng Mussamun
Storage 2 months Cooks in 30 minutes Difficulty EASY
- 2 1/2 tbsp shallots, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp coriander roots
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 dried chilli (sweet)
- 1 tbsp lemongrass
- 1/2 tbsp galangal
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 cloves
- 1 cardamom seed
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp salt
- Roast all the dry ingredients in a dry frying pan for a few minutes.
- Clean the frying pan and do the same with all the fresh ingredients. This will give the paste a much fuller flavour.
- Smash all the ingredients together in a pestle and mortar (use a stone pestle mortar if possible) for around 30 minutes or until a nice thick paste is formed.
- Alternatively you can blend the ingredients together but the curry paste tastes much better if smashed by hand in a pestle and mortar.
- Fry the finished paste in a little oil for a couple minutes. This will help you store the paste for longer.
Alternatively you can blend the ingredients together but the curry paste tastes much better if smashed by hand in a pestle and mortar.
Store in the fridge for up to two months.
Massaman curry paste is a core ingredient for Massaman Curry with Chicken. Hope you enjoy my Prik Gairng Mussamun. Khop Khun Ka from Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.