Nam Jued Kai Nam
Serves 4 Cooks in 20 minutes Difficulty Easy
Nam Jued Kai Nam is a simple clear soup with a nice mix of greens, pork, noodles and the key ingredient, an omelette. I just love these Thai soups and they are so quick to make and really tasty.
All the ingredients should be easy to source. I make this soup with Chinese cabbage but you could use any green leaves instead. Just whatever is available from your local market. The soup can be eaten as a light lunch or as part of a larger meal.
So in between my Thai cooking classes this is the kind of soup I like to eat here in Khao Lak.
- 2 eggs
- 50g minced pork
- 3 Chinese cabbage leaves, roughly torn
- A handful of glass noodles
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp oil
- A cup of water
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1 tbsp pork stock
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 pack of egg tofu
- Black pepper
- A handful of coriander leaves
- Crispy garlic in oil*
*You can make crispy garlic in oil yourself, simply fry some garlic in oil until golden and crispy. Place the garlic in some kitchen roll to remove an excess oil.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Mix the eggs with the fish sauce then fry as an omelette.
- When the omelette is cooked, remove from the wok and roughly chop into 2cm squares.
- Add one cup of water to the wok and bring to the boil.
- Add the stock, cabbage, glass noodles, spring onion, garlic, pork, sugar, soy sauce and tofu.
- Let everything simmer for around five minutes.
Pour the soup into a large bowl, stir in the omelette and garnish with coriander leaves, crispy garlic and black pepper.
Please try this simple Thai soup at home, its so easy and fun. Hope you enjoy Tom Jued Kai Nam by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.