Tub Tim Grob
Serves 4 Cooks in 45 minutes Difficulty Easy
Tub Tim Grob is a simple Thai dessert I sometimes prepare at my Thai cooking class here in Khao Lak. The name is great, translated it is Red Rubies in Coconut Milk.
The main ingredient is chestnuts. Here in Thailand we use tinned chestnuts but if you can get fresh chestnuts the dessert is even more delicious. Another key ingredient is ice. This makes Tub Tim Grob an ideal dessert to serve after a very spicy Thai meal. Nice and cool and refreshing.
As well as chestnuts you can add other fresh ingredients. I often add in jack fruit or fresh coconut but please feel free to add you own favourite fruits.
- 1/2 tin of chestnuts
- 125 ml coconut milk
- 2-3 cups of water
- 3 tbsp red syrup
- 3 pandam leaves
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- plenty of ice
- fresh ingredients such coconut
- Drain the chestnuts and cut into small squares (around 1 cm).
- In a small bowl mix the chestnuts and red syrup and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain the chestnuts again and mix with the starch. Shake the chestnuts in a sieve to remove any excess starch.
- In a sauce pan, bring the water to the boil and add the chestnuts. Let them cook for a couple of minutes, when they float they are done.
- Remove the chestnuts and dunk in ice cold water so they don’t stick together. Leave in the water for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk to a sauce pan, mix with the sugar, pandam leaves and salt and slowly bring the mixture to the boil. Turn off the heat once the milk starts to bubble
- Let the coconut mixture cool.
Add the chestnuts, coconut milk mixture and ice to a bowl and serve. Add fresh coconut, jack fruit, etc as you prefer.
Hope you enjoy Tub Tim Grob or Red Rubies by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.