Phad Kee Mao
Serves 2 Cooks in 30 minutes Difficulty Easy
Here’s a dish with a funny name when translated into English. Phad Kee Mao means Fried Drunken Noodles. Kee Mao is a heavy drinker in Thai.
This dish should be spicy so if you find yourself hungry after a lot to drink it packs a strong taste with a big kick. Here in Thailand we like to believe the spiciness has a sobering effect on the heavy drinker.
Pad Kee Mao is a fast, easy dish to cook and it’s something I eat a lot here in Khao Lak when I need a quick hunger fix. You do not need to be drunk to enjoy it.
The recipe is super simple, you can use pretty much any vegetables you like. I’ve also added tofu along with the veggies. If you want this dish vegan then you can simply leave out the eggs.
- 50g tofu, cubed
- 2 handfuls of wide rice noodles
- 2 eggs (leave out for vegan)
- 8 chillies
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 long green chilli peppers
- 3 mushrooms
- 2 baby corns
- 1 sweet chilli
- A handful of kale
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mushroom sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vegetable stock
- 2 kafir lime leaves
- A handful of Thai basil leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- Smash the garlic and chilli in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the tofu.
- Fry for a few minutes than crack in the eggs and stir.
- Add the wide noodles, soy sauce, vegetable stock, mushroom sauce and sugar. Mix well.
- Throw in all the vegetables and leaves and fry a couple more minutes.
Serve with lime wedges and thick slices of cucumber.
Please try this dish at home, its so easy and fun, drunk or sober. Hope you enjoy Pad Kee Mao by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.