Tao Hu Tod Gab Nam Gin Tu-ua
Serves 2 Cooks in 20 minutes Difficulty Easy
Crispy Tofu with Peanut Dipping Sauce or Tao Hu Tod Gab Nam Gin Tu-ua as it would be called in Thai makes a great Thai snack or appetiser for your Thai dinner.
This dish is 100% vegetarian using healthy, protein rich tofu. The peanut sauce is a little sour and different from the more traditional peanut sauce used with satay. You can use it with a whole host of other meals as a dipping sauce to add some extra Thai flavour.
All the ingredients should be easy to source. You could use tempura flour if you can not get crispy flour.
For the Crispy Tofu
- 2 blocks of tofu
- 1 tbsp crispy flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 tbsp water
- 500ml oil
For the Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 2 tbsp tamarind sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp palm sugar
- A few sprigs of corriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix the flours, salt, pepper and water in a bowl. Add the tofu and stir so the tofu is well coated with the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan or sauce pan. When it is nice and hot, carefully add the the tofu and stir occasionally.
- As the tofu starts to turn golden, gently pour the remaining flour mixture over the tofu in the oil. This will add extra crisp.
- When the additional mix starts to turn golden, remove the tofu and drain off any excess oil.
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and gently warm until the palm sugar has melted. Stir well and remove from the heat.
Serve the tofu on a plate and the dipping sauce in a small bowl, garnished with a few coriander leaves.
Hope you enjoy Tao Hu Tod by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.