Khao Niaow Ma Muang
Serves 4 Cooks in 60 minutes Difficulty EASY
For The Sticky Rice
- 250g sticky rice
- 160ml coconut milk
- 5 pandam leaves
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 tps salt
For The Main Dessert
- 1 mango
- 50ml coconut milk
- 20g sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp potato starch
- Pinch of salt
To Prepare The Sticky Rice
- Wash the sticky rice in water, rinsing and washing again three times.
- Soak the rice in clean water overnight.
- Drain the rice thoroughly.
- Put the rice in a wet cloth folding over the top so the rice is covered. Then place above boiling water and steam for 35-40 minutes.
- Heat the 160ml coconut milk in a sauce pan adding the salt, sugar and pandam leaves and stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Once the milk starts to bubble turn off the heat immediately.
- Take a mixing bowl and mix the cooked rice with the coconut milk. Leave for five minutes then stir again. Wait a further five minutes before giving the mixture one final stir.
To Prepare Mango With Sticky Rice
- Heat the 50ml coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Whilst that is heating mix tbsp water with the potato starch and add around half of this to the coconut milk. Add the salt.
- When the coconut starts to thicken with a sticky consistency turn off the heat. Add more starch if required.
- Peel the mango and cut into slices or cubes as desired.
Place the mango and sticky rice side by side on a plate. Top the rice with the coconut milk and sesame seeds.
Hope you enjoy my Khao Niaow Ma Muang. Khop Khun Ka from Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.