Tao Hu Sung Kru-an
Serves 2 Cooks in 20 minutes Difficulty Easy
Egg Tofu topped with Vegetables or in Thai, Tao Hu Sung Kru-an is a simple dish with Chinese influences. Its very easy to make and even if you can not get all the ingredients it still tastes delicious.
I always use egg tofu but you can also use soy tofu instead. As well as tofu being packed in protein, it also contains the eight essential amino acids and in the ratios very similar to what your body needs.
Usually this dish is cooked with pork, this is my vegetarian version instead. The shitake mushrooms carry enough flavour without the pork.
As the egg tofu is soft we will prepare that first to make it nice and crispy. This prevents it from disintegrating into the other ingredients later.
All the ingredients should be easy to source.
- 3 packs of egg tofu, sliced around 1 1/2 cm thick
- 5 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked for 20 minutes and then sliced
- 1 tbsp carrot, diced
- 2 baby corns, sliced
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy suace
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp mushroom stock
- 3 tbsp oil + 200ml oil
- 5 tbsp water
- Mix four tablespoons of the corn flour with the tofu and stir so the tofu is well coated with the flour.
- Heat the 200 millilitres of oil in a saucepan and deep fry the tofu until it is nice and crispy. Drain well and set to one side.
- Heat three tablespoons of oil in a wok and add the garlic and fry until it is soft.
- Add the carrot, corns and mushrooms and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, stock and three tablespoons of water and fry a few minutes.
- Mix two tablespoons of water with one tablespoon of corn flour and add to the wok.
- Fry for one more minute.
Lay the tofu on a plate and top with the vegetables. Garnished with the spring onions.
Hope you enjoy Tao Hu Sung Kru-an by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.