As an alternative to the usual dishes I teach at my Thai cooking class in Khao Lak, here is something with a tasty Chinese style.
Mee Pad Hokkien or Stir-fried Hokkien mee or Hokkien noodles is a classic dish of, you’ve probably guessed it, Hokkien origin. Whichever name you prefer and possibly the more apt, Phuket Original Hokkien Noodles consists of thick yellow (egg) noodles fried with seafood, pork and vegetables.
This Hokkien dish came to Phuket and subsequently the Khao Lak area with early Chinese immigrants from the southern area of Fujian province who settled all across Southeast Asia and is therefore a very popular dish throughout the region.
It also happens to be an immensely popular dish within my household. Hokkien noodles is an easy and fast meal that can quickly satisfy my family when they are hungry. So as an alternative to my usual Thai cooking here’s how you make and serve Mee Pad Hokkien as we call it in Thailand.
What You Will Need
Most the ingredients for Mee Pad Hokkien should be readily available from most decent supermarkets though you may need to source one of two items from an Asian speciality shop. You will need:
- Yellow (egg) noodles
- Pork stock
- Dried chilli
- Oyster suace
- Soy sauce and dark soy sauce
- Asian greens such as kale (though you could use anything green such as broccoli)
How To Cook Pad Mee Hokkien
1. Heat the oil in a wok or decent frying pan, fry the garlic and shallots until they are soft.
2. Add the pork and fry.
3. When the pork is nearly cooked, add the shrimp followed by the noodles and all the sauces, pork stock and sugar.
4. Fry for a few minutes, hot and fast.
5. Add your greens and a little water.
6. Turn the heat down, crack an egg on top of the noodles and leave for one minute.
Pad Mee Hokkien is traditionally served with lime chunks, sugar, dried chilli and shallots on the side along with an extra dish of crispy pork, accompanied by iced tea or coconut juice.
Please try this dish at home, its so easy and well worth it. Hope you enjoy Pad Mee Hokkien by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.