Gung Chair Nam Bplah
Serves 2 Cooks in 30 minutes Difficulty Easy
Gung Chair Nam Bplah or Fresh Shrimp in Fish Sauce as it would be called in English is a delicious Thai snack preferred as an accompaniment for drinking whiskey or beer.
It has a strong taste and is believed to give the drinker a strong feeling and prevent them from getting drunk easily.
Of course this Thai dish is not reserved just for drinkers, it would make a great side dish for a summer barbecue. Spicy and tangy but also refreshing and delicious.
There is no cooking involved, it is just simple preparation.
- 12 medium sized shrimps
- 1 sprig of coriander
- 1/2 small cabbage, sliced
- 10 cloves of garlic, sliced in half lengthways
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 bottle of soda water
- 1 small lime, sliced
- A few chillies
- A little bit of carrot
- Nam Jim sauce
- Leave the shrimp in cold soda water for 10 minutes. Then wash them, make a thin cut lengthways down their back, removing any dirt and pull slightly apart.
- Slice the cabbage and carrot and lay on a large plate as a base.
- Arrange the shrimp, garlic, garlic, chillies and lime on top and drizzle with fish sauce.
- Top with Nam Jim Sauce and coriander leaves.
Please try this simple Thai dish at home, its so easy and fun. Hope you enjoy Gung Chair Nam Bplah by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.