18 Aug Phad Pak
Phad Pak simply means fried vegetables. That about the most difficult thing to remember as everything else about this vegetarian Thai dish is super easy from here on.
If you already have your essential Thai sauces in your home kitchen, all you will need are some vegetables. I use vegetables that are easiest to get from our local Khao Lak market but you can use any vegetables you like or have to hand. You can even add some tofu if you deep fry it first to make it a little crispy.
The dish looks and tastes better when you have a nice variety of vegetables and colour. You can add some extra variety by adding some leaves such as kale.
What You Will Need
- 3 tbsp mushroom sauce (or oyster sauce)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp stock
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 chilli
- A small handful of each of the following vegetables: snap peas, mushrooms, sliced carrots, broccoli, cabbage, baby sweet corms, kale or any vegetables you like.
How To Prepare Phad Pak
- Smash the garlic and chilli together in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a wok, through in the garlic and chilli and fry for a minute.
- Throw in all the other ingredients and stir fry fast and hot for a few minutes. The vegetables should be cooked but still a little crunchy to bite. Add a little water if you sauce gets too dry.
Serve on a large plate and eat with steamed Jasmine rice.
Phad Pak also makes a nice side dish for a larger Thai banquet. Hope you enjoy Phad Pak by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.