Tom Jued Tang Kwa Yad Sai
Serves 2 Cooks in 30 minutes Difficulty Easy
Tom Jued Tang Kwa Yad Sai or pork and cucumber soup is a Chinese style clear soup. It uses simple ingredients that should be readily available from your local supermarket.
This is one of my favourite soups which I learnt to enjoy as a child. My mother had a garden at our family home and she grew a lot of vegetables. Sometimes she grew to much to sell and she would use the excess vegetables for our family meals.
The only problem was I didn’t really enjoy eating vegetables as a kid. I really liked pork and noodles so my mother would cook this soup as a way to trick me to eat cucumber, which was always in abundant supply.
I know cucumber is not an obvious choice for western style soups but it is a delicious ingredient. It soaks up a lot of the liquid and becomes really soft.
Maybe if you have kids who do not like vegetables you can win them over with this soup. Hope you enjoy.
- 2 cucumbers
- 100g minced pork
- A handful of glass noodles
- 1/4 carrot, sliced
- 1 sprig coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 coriander roots
- 1 sprig flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 packet of egg tofu, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash and peel the cucumbers and cut into 3cm long pieces. Carefully remove the seeds to leave you with a cucumber tube.
- Smash the garlic and coriander roots in a pestle and mortar.
- In a bowl, mix the garlic and coriander roots with the minced pork, glass noodles and soy sauce.
- Stuff the hollowed out cucumbers with this pork mixture.
- Bring 250ml water to the boil, then add the stuffed cucumbers.
- Add the carrot, chicken stock, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on how soft you like your vegetables.
- Finally, add the tofu, parsley and coriander, give a last good stir and remove from the heat.
Serve in a bowl. You can eat this as a light meal or as an accompaniment to a larger Thai meal.
Hope you enjoy Tom Jued Tang Kwa Yad Sai by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.