Muu Dad Deaw
Serves 2 Cooks in 26 Hours Difficulty Easy
Muu Dad Deaw or Fried Sun Dried Pork is a delicious way to prepare and cook pork. It makes a great starter or side dish if you are preparing a larger Thai meal. Muu Dad Deaw is not on my usual menu at my Khao Lak Thai cooking class as it takes a day to prepare the pork. If you book in advance though I would be more than happy to show you how to prepare everything. Otherwise see below for how to cook Muu Dad Deaw at home.
The sun drying process for this dish is a great way to prepare pork for longer storage. This is actually how this tasty meal came about in the past in Thailand. Once dried the pork can be stored in the fridge for around 5 days. If you freeze the pork it can be kept much longer.
Muu Dad Deaw requires a few basic Thai ingredients that should be easy to source where ever you live in the world. If you cook Thai food regularly you will probably have most of the sauces already. You will also require a nice sunny day.
- 1 kg pork
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 5 coriander roots
- 5 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbps sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy oil
- Smash the garlic and coriander roots in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, soy oil, oyster sauce, sesame seeds and pepper and mix well.
- Slice the pork into 5 cm long strips around 1 cm thick.
- Marinate the pork for 2 hours.
- Lay the pork strips on a wire mash and dry in the sun for 1 day. (At this stage you can store the pork in the fridge for up to 5 days)
- Heat plenty of oil in wok until it is nice and hot and fry the pork until cooked.
- My tip: When the pork is nearly ready, throw in 10 kafir lime leaves and fry together for 2 minutes. The leaves are delicious when crispy.
Serve on a banana leaf with some thickly sliced cucumber and long beans as either an accompaniment to your Thai meal or as a quick tasty Thai snack..
Please try this dish at home, its so easy and fun. Hope you enjoy Muu Dad Deaw by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.