03 May Yam Fern Chan
Yam Fern Chan was the signature dish from my old restaurant Fern Chan which I used to run with my Mother long before I had a Thai cooking class in Khao Lak.
Translated into English, the restaurant’s name meant My Boyfriend so this dish would be known as My Boyfriend Salad. If you are interested you can read all about my old restaurant here.
Anyway, back to Yam Fern Chan. This is a really simple Thai salad that packs some amazing tastes and textures and a true Apple original 🍎 It is nicely spiced with a slightly sour edge. I used to make it with chicken and shrimp but you can use pretty much anything you have left over in the fridge.
What You Will Need
- 10 chillies (for a spicy taste)
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 50g tempura flour
- 1 tomato sliced into 6 wedges
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 1 spring onion roughly chopped
- 3 shrimps
- 20g chicken sliced
- 20g tofu cubed
- 1 long green bean roughly chopped
- 1 egg fried
How To Prepare Yam Fern Chan
- Add 1 tbsp water to the tempura flour and mix with the chicken, shrimps, tofu and green beans.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry until golden.
- Add the chillies, shallot, onion, cashew nuts, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, chilli sauce and spring onion in a bowl and combine well.
- Add in the fried tempura chicken, shrimp, tofu and beans and give a final stir together.
Top with coriander leaves, parsley and serve with lime wedges.
Please try this yummy Thai salad at home, its so easy and fun. Hope you enjoy Yam Fern Chan by Apple 🍎 Riverside Thai Cooking in Khao Lak.